RESILIENCE TNA Webinar: The Manuscript and Archive Collections of the Gazi Husrev-beg Library in Sarajevo
The University of Sarajevo (UNSA) invites all interested in its libraries and collections to a one hour webinar on Tuesday May 10, 2022, 12:00-13:00 h CEST.
This seminar aims to present collections of the Gazi Husrev-beg Library in Sarajevo, the oldest public library in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Home – Gazi Husrev-bey Library (ghb.ba). GHB’s manuscript collection consists of 10,585 codices of unique manuscripts which comprise about 20,000 texts of varying length in the ﬁelds of Islamic sciences, oriental languages, belles-lettres, philosophy, logic, history, medicine, veterinary science, mathematics, astronomy and others, dating from between the 12th and 20th centuries. This collection was included in the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2017 (Manuscript collection of the Gazi Husrev-Beg Library | UNESCO). We will also briefly present other special collections of GHB, such as the Ottoman archive collection and the Archives of the Islamic Community in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Participants of the webinar will have the opportunity to hear more about efforts of the library management and stuff to preserve books and other library treasure during the last war in Bosnia, from 1992 to 1995 (Trailer: The Love of Books: A Sarajevo Story – YouTube). At that period GHB Library also made first steps in the field of conservation and digitization of it’s library materials. Therefore, this webinar will also include a story about conservation, restauration and digitization of GHB library collections, as well as the possibilities of using the GHB Digital Repository.
Date and Time
10 May, 2022, 12:00-13:00 (CEST)
In the webinar you will:
- learn more about the history of Gazi Husrev-beg Library in Sarajevo;
- learn more about the manuscript collection of the Gazi Husrev-beg Library, its value and specificity;
- learn more about other holdings of Gazi Husrev-beg’s library, such as different archive collections;
- expand and share experiences in the field of restoration, conservation and digitization of manuscripts and other library materials;
- be able to access and navigate the printed library collections and GHB Digital Repository.
- Gazi Husrev Beg Library’s Legal Status
- History of the GHB
- GHB Library Collections
- Manuscript Collection
- Archive Collection
- Monograph and Other Collections
- Department of Conservation and Restoration
- Catalogization, Digitization & Digital Repository
- Relevance to RESILIENCE
You can register via the registration form.
Sahsena Djulovic, via e-mail